This fire fighting equipment is a 1867 Gibbs & Gordon Soda Ash Chemical Kettle Hand Pumper that was owned by W. E. Schwigler, who owned the Old Mining Exchange Hotel on Water Street. It would be loaned to the Port Arthur Fire Brigade in emergencies, like the great fire in 1887 that destroyed many homes and businesses on Cumberland Street. It was later donated to the City, and put on display at the old Port Arthur Fire Hall before it was donated to the Thunder Bay Historical Museum. 

This is the only known model of this fire truck to exist in Canada, and one of 3 known in North America.