Key Messages: Museums
- Now, more than ever, is a critical time to ensure that museums have adequate funding to
ensure their financial health.
- A study commissioned by the Ottawa Declaration Working Group, co-led by Library and
Archives Canada and the Canadian Museums Association, found that museums contribute
millions to the Canadian economy as well as to societal well-being.
- 96% of respondents surveyed for the study said that museums contribute to our overall
quality of life in Canada.
- Museums across Canada welcome an estimated 30 million annual visitors, that’s over five
million more than the entire National Hockey League did during the 2018-19 season. (30
million vs. 22 million)
- Museums provide $2.9 billion/year in economic benefits.
- Museums provide a value of $1.2 billion/year in educational benefits and $277-million/year
in value of online visits.
- For every dollar invested in museums, society gets nearly $4 in benefits.