Birthday Parties at the Thunder Bay Museum are designed for families who would like to celebrate their child’s special day in a safe, fun learning environment!
What do I get with a Thunder Bay Museum Birthday Party Package?
- Set-up and clean-up by Museum staff
- A host to run the party activities
- Admission to the galleries for your guests (up to 10 children & no more than 10 adults please)
- 4 Museum passes so your family can come back and explore on your own
- Party invitations
- Crown for the birthday child and nametags for guests
- Exclusive 2-hour use of the party room (the first hour will include games and activities facilitated by your host. The final hour can be dedicated to gifts, cake and exploring the galleries with adult chaperones)
What themes are available?
- Dino Party
Play dinosaur games, put together a giant dinosaur puzzle and create dinosaur art (Albertosaurus will be on display March 8 to June 8, 2014)
- Fun & Games Party
Enjoy playing traditional games, singing songs and creating crafts from long ago
- Jazzy Jewellery Party
Bead a bracelet & create a funky frame to take home & get sparkly with face painting
- Do-It-Yourself Party
You provide the inspiration and activities and we provide the facilities. There is no party host, crafts and museum programming included in this option. You still have the party room for two hours and can take your own tour.
What age should my child be for a Museum birthday?
Ideal ages for our themes, activities and crafts are from 5 to 10
What times are available?
Saturdays & Sundays (Dates are subject to availability)
1:30 – 3:30 pm
2:00 – 4:00 pm
2:30 – 4:30 pm
What do I need to bring?
Cake, candles, matches, cake cutter, utensils, napkins, plates, cups, tablecloths (for two 8-foot tables), drinks, decorations. Limited use of the kitchen will be available to you, including the fridge, microwave and stove if needed.
What is the cost of a Museum birthday?
(Museum members receive a 10% discount)
$122.50 for a 2-hour theme party
$62.50 Do-It-Yourself Party – includes rental of party room & Museum admission only
Prices are subject to change without notice
Reservations and a contract are required for a birthday party. A $50.00 non-refundable (but transferable*) deposit is required to secure the reservation ($25.00 for the Do-It-Yourself Party). The balance is due the day of the party. We accept payment with cash, cheque, Visa and Mastercard.
* transferable to secure another day within 1 year of the original party date (for yours or another child)
What months are unavailable?
Typically the only months that we cannot host birthday parties are July and August. December has limited availability. Please inquire about dates.
Can we invite more than 10 children?
Unfortunately we only have adequate space for 10 children maximum for the activities we have planned. Consider a Do-It-Yourself Party for larger groups.
Is a Museum tour part of our activities?
Our casual staff members, who host the party activities, are not historical docents and can therefore only give basic information about the Museum. A tour is not part of your scheduled activities. If you would like your host to give you a basic tour, please inform them upon your arrival. You can decide if you would like to replace one of the planned activities with a tour or dedicate some of your final hour towards it.
For more information or to schedule a party, contact Christie Parry-Huston at 623-0801 or by email.
Basic Museum Birthday Party Guidelines
The Thunder Bay Museum has limited hands-on artifacts in the galleries. To ensure the safety of the children and our exhibits, following are the rules for birthday party parents or chaperones:
- I understand I am expected to provide one (1) adult chaperone for every four (4) children to supervise the children at the party, at all times, on all floors, who will help them follow our rules.
- I understand that the children will be expected to follow the Museum’s Birthday Party Manners (given to the Birthday parent & adult chaperones as they enter the Museum).
- I understand that all food (including candy and gum) and decorations (including balloons and loot bags) must stay in the party room and are not allowed in the galleries.
- I understand that decorations should be simple and if I am planning on affixing decorations to party room walls, I must first get permission from Museum staff.
- I understand that I should invite my guests only for the 2-hour time slot scheduled.