This ‘jumper’ has no connection to the Chippewa Park Carousel, but are definitely a part of Thunder Bay’s history nonetheless.
For many years they resided in Andrew Coffey’s clothing store on Brodie Street, and became part of the museum’s collection after its closing. Their exact origins are uncertain, but based on their dimensions and style they were most likely carved by the Herschell-Spillman Company circa 1910 to 1915, and probably were part of a travelling carousel.
Like C.W. Parker, Herschell-Spillman carousels were representative of the ‘Country Fair’ style.